Thank you for your interest in the Social Brain Lab under Dr. Christian Keysers and Dr. Valeria Gazzola. We are always looking for talented and motivated researchers who share our passion for understanding the neural basis of social cognition and empathy.
We strive to provide an individualized approach to supervision, time, and dedication resulting in limited availability at any given time. We often receive many requests from brilliant applicants, and we will gladly take the time to consider yours. In the case of interns, the choice to have an intern is left to the individual researcher’s discretion and needs of their project at that time. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that you will receive an offer from us.
To submit an application to the Social Brain Lab, please review the requirements below. For your application request please submit the required materials as a PDF or Word file in English to our lab manager Laura Hammock (firstname.lastname@example.org). We aim to review your application and get back to you within two weeks.
Bachelor’s Internship Requirements
- An overall average Dutch grade of the Bachelor’s study of 7.5 or better (or a GPA equal to this grade).
- The aim to stay in the lab for at least 2 months or more
Master’s Internship Requirement
- An overall Dutch grade of the Bachelor’s study of 7.5 or better (or a GPA equal to this grade)
- The overall Dutch grade of Master’s study of 8.0 or better (or equivalent GPA)
- The aim to stay in the lab for at least 6 month of more
- Motivation Letter
- In this letter please also mention when you would like to start, the duration of the internship, and any requirements you would have for an internship in addition to your motivation.
PhD / Postdoc Application
We are always looking for outstanding scientists who want to join our lab as PhD students or Postdocs. In addition to the vacancies that we advertise internationally, the Social Brain Lab is open to consider applications from exceptionally talented scientists at any time. You can find some of our current research topics on our website. If you are interested in the social brain, have a strong scientific background, and are eager to use rigorous experimental methods to unravel the neural mechanisms of social cognition, we welcome your application to our lab.
- An overall average Dutch grade of Master’s studies of 8.0 or better (or equivalent GPA)
- Master’s degree (or proof that such a degree will be obtained within the next 6 months) in the neurosciences or related fields
- PhD in neuroscience or related fields (or a letter from your supervisor that such a degree will be obtained within the next 6 months)
- At least one first authored publication
- 2 Recommendation Letters
- Project Proposal
- A PDF of Your Best Publication (Postdoc Only)
Any questions? Contact our lab manager Laura Hammock (email@example.com)
At the moment, there are no vacancies within this groupShow all vacancies
"*" indicates required fields
Donate to NiN
"*" indicates required fields
Brain Friends make groundbreaking brain research possible
- You support groundbreaking/ innovative brain research
- You support the Dutch Brain Bank
- Invitation to the Brain Friends Lecture
- Exclusive friend activities
- A look behind the scenes of the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience
You can easily donate via
You can also transfer your contribution to NL76 INGB 0002 1673 78 in the name of ‘Stichting Vrienden van het Herseninstituut’